The Assistant Teacher will work cooperatively with staff, parents, and volunteers to carry out the responsibilities of the center in order to meet the intellectual, emotional, social, and physical needs of Head Start children and their families.
POSITION: Assistant Teacher position in Clatskanie Head Start
HOURS: 30-40 hours per week
SALARY: $15.95-19.34 per hour depending on education
BENEFITS: Medical, dental, vision, life, retirement, education, paid holidays, personal and sick leave
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a letter of interest along with the items below:
- Current resume
- Copy of CDA
- Copies of transcripts (issued by the college – can be student issued, but not web-based)
- Copy of degree(s)
Please send all materials to:
Child & Family Development Programs
ATTN: Dawn Crawford
PO Box 10
Rainier, OR 97048
- Must have a CDA (Child Development Associate); one year ECE education or a one year ECE certificate from an accredited college.
- AA degree in Early Childhood Education.
- Must have one year experience working in an early childhood classroom.
- Must have current pediatric and adult First Aid and C.P.R. cards.
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner with children, families, and co-workers in both verbal and written format.
- Must have dependable transportation and/or valid driver’s license and auto insurance.
- Must be able to attend meetings and trainings that may require out-of-town travel and overnight stays.
- Evidence of ability to work in a cooperative team manner, to follow directions, and program policies.
- Must be on the Central Background Registry, pass a pre-employment drug screening and TB screen.
- Must be willing and available to work flexible hours.
- Ability to participate in regular kneeling, stooping, bending, sitting on the floor, and standing for long periods of time.
- Ability to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs.
- Bilingual skills preferred.
- Ability to work with low income and/or special needs families, including families from a diverse population.
- Must have intermediate working computer skills and knowledge.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist the teacher in planning and implementing a developmentally appropriate program which meets the intellectual, emotional, social, and physical needs of each child and is based on the goals and curriculum of our program.
- Participate in weekly and monthly planning for classroom activities.
- Share the responsibility with the teacher of preparing, implementing, and evaluating daily classroom activities.
- Assist the teacher in carrying through the individual goals set for each child in the classroom and on home visits.
- Assist the teacher in maintaining written records on individual children and their families.
- Assist in individual tracking & documentation for each child according to program standards.
- Assist in assessing each child’s developmental needs regularly.
- Assist in writing in SOAP files.
- Provide advocacy and support for families.
- Promote the development of parent skills as the primary educators of their children.
- Work with teacher to plan assigned home visits and help to educate parents in the areas of Education, Health/Nutrition/Dental, and Social Services as outlined in program plans.
- Assist Teacher in completing required home visits as needed.
- Encourage parents to become “teacher” on home visits.
- Encourage parents to volunteer in the classroom and attend monthly parent meetings.
- Encourage and be supportive of parents and volunteers working in the classroom.
- Coordinate home activities and classroom activities with the guidance of the teacher.
- Role model appropriate practices for parents as classroom volunteers.
- Assist the teacher in guiding and supervising the children in a consistent, positive manner.
- Assist with constant supervision of every child.
- Confer with the teacher on planned program activities.
- Assist the teacher in developing and maintaining a safe and healthy environment.
- Share responsibility for the condition of the teachers work and storage areas.
- Share in the responsibility of maintaining orderliness and cleanliness in the classroom.
- Share responsibility for condition of classroom – set up, tear down, and sanitize as needed.
- Assist the teacher with daily routines, such as toothbrushing, hand washing, bathroom, eating, and transitions between activities.
- Contribute to the operation of the center and program by attending and participating in center, class and program staff meetings; and sharing information gained through attendance at required trainings, workshops, and professional reading.
- Must maintain a working knowledge of program plans, policies, and performance standards.
- Assist in the evaluation and planning of program plans.
- Help collect in-kind for the center.
- Help with inventory.
- Work as a team member with all staff.
- Must maintain program and client confidentiality policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.